Kids as young as 7 years old will appreciate the art and science behind robotics, particularly robot kits, when they have hands-on experience. They will learn plenty of physical and mental skills while building basic robots from kits which include fine motor skills, problem-solving and decision-making skills, and coding skills, to name a few. Their parents will appreciate the strides in education that their children learn from building and playing with robots they built on their own.
This is where the Elegoo Smart Robot Car will come in handy. The kit is designed for beginners, particularly kids, in robotics utilizing a hands-on learning experience in electronics assembly, Arduino programming, and basic robotics. According to its manufacturer, it’s a basic integrative solution for kids to learn robotics in a way that they can understand and enjoy.
Features of the Elegoo UNO Project Upgraded Smart Robot Car Kit with UNO R3
The Elegoo UNO robot car kit is among the most popular kits of its kind because of its practical features.
Comes as a complete package
The kit comes with all the parts necessary to build a complete robot. You just need a few basic tools, such as screwdrivers, to assemble it into your desired mode, whether it’s the basic auto-go mode or the more advanced line tracking mode. Your child can obviously help in the assembly – it’s a robot kit designed for beginners, after all – after which you can serve as an advisor.
There are five programming modes in the kit with each mode providing kids with general and specific learnings in electronics assembly and robot programming. When your kids have difficulty learning a mode, you can always step in and let them do the rest, as is the case for most parents who bought the kit. The modes are as follows:
- The auto-go mode is a demonstration app that introduces the fundamentals of robotics to kids or to adults.
- The infrared mode allows for hours of enjoyable play, thanks to the remote-controlled movements of the robot.
- The Bluetooth mode provides more advanced play using a relatively simple Android app. Just go to Google Play or App Store, install the Elegoo BLE Tool App, and team it up with the HC-o8 Bluetooth module. Your kids can now control the robot using a smartphone. You may find a slight difficulty (i.e., learning curve) in programming the app settings, but it will be easier once you get the hang of it. There’s also a video tutorial on sending signals and making the robot run.
- The obstacle avoidance mode allows the robot to explore its environment, so to speak, without running into things. Emphasis must be made, nonetheless, that even when it runs into stationary things, it will withstand the stress, thanks to its durable materials and construction. The robot has basic ultrasonic sensors that keep it from colliding into objects.
- The line tracking mode allows the user to control the robot while it’s speeding down a runway, whether it’s a sidewalk or a hallway in your home. The kit has infrared devices, namely, a transmitter tube and a receiver tube, which ensures that it follows the line.
These modes, among other features, are made possible because of the powerful Arduino Uno processor.
Easy to Assemble
The robot is easy to assemble for three reasons. First, you can follow the step-by-step instructions in the tutorial. You will find everything you need for the assembly, too, from the parts, remote control, and batteries, to the tools and instructions for this purpose. You may spend 2-4 hours on the assembly depending on your skill level.
Second, you will find that the module interfaces and wire harnesses are designed so that each part only fits another part in a specific way. There’s little to no chance of making mistakes in its assembly because of its design.
Third, even your teenagers can understand the assembly instructions because of their well-written quality. You will also find that all the programs and codes to operate the robot are already included, so there’s no second-guessing yourself.
You can also add a camera and a Wi-Fi module so that the robot can take photos or send live video; remove the sonic sensor to make the robot deliver a payload or to add another arm; and install a weather sensor. You and your kids, indeed, will find the Elegoo robot a versatile toy for everybody in the family. You can add more sensors depending on your engineering knowledge and skills, too, if you plan on using it as your DIY robotics project.
- Durable materials and construction
- Complete package from parts to tools
- Easy to assemble and program for beginners
- Expandable options for intermediate and advanced learners
- Provides hours of learning and play
- A few customers complained about defective battery housing, which was promptly replaced
The Elegoo Smart Robot Car is a great buy for you and your kids! You will likely find that it can be a basic robotic kit for beginners as well as a more advanced kit for your older children. You can guide them in adding more sensors, for example, so that it becomes a multipurpose robot.